Sunday, September 21, 2003

Good morning,

I did the cleaning yesterday and wrote some emails and did some critiquing of a chapter of a novel by a friend of mine, so no blogging yesterday.

Today I will go to Mattins and Holy Eucharist at my little Traditional Anglican Cathedral and after that the annual church picnic. It's cool and cloudy outside, but the picnic is on no matter what, as there are indoor facilities at the site if need be. I'll also do some weight training later on, so, no promises that I'll blog today either. I've been mulling over that rich chapter about Hezekiah (2 Kings 20) and the Matthew Henry Commentary about it. (see post below for hyperlinks).

Oswald Chamber's My Utmost for His Highest has had some interesting devotionals over the last few days that seem to tie in with the story, though the impressions I'm getting
are too difficult for me to put into words right now.

The devotionals talk about how the temptations one experiences are "the temptations of the life of the Son of God". That ties in, somehow, with the message in 2 Kings about Hezekiah showing the ambassadors from the king of Babylon all the treasures of his kingdom and receiving a terrible prophecy afterwards from Isaiah that his treasures would be carried away to Babylon and his sons will be eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon.

We're warned against pride or against taking credit for accomplishments that belong to God.

I must get ready to go, so here are today's readings.

The Book of Common Prayer Daily Offices

Morning

Psalms: 37 (1-22)
First Lesson: Proverbs: 3:1-17
Second Lesson: Matthew 19:16-end
Athanasian Creed

St. Matthew/ 14th Sunday after Trinity

Collect of the Day:
O Almighty God, who by thy blessed Son didst call Matthew from the receipt of custom to be an Apostle and Evangelist: Grant us grace to forwake all covetous desires and inordinate love of riches, and to follow the same thy Son Jesus Christ; who liveth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen

Holy Eucharist:

Epistle: 2 Corinthians 4:1-
Gospel: St. Matthew 9:9

Evening Prayer:

Psalm 37 vs. 23-41
1 Chronicles 29:9-18
Matthew 6:19-end

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home